Thursday, March 4, 2010

Are you LinkedIn?

As graduation quickly approaches, a lot of students are wondering what the next step is. Hand out resumes? Go to a job fair? Perhaps... if you're Ward and June Cleaver. The new generation of job applicants have some other options to consider.

While attending a resume writing workshop, it was brought to my attention that what potential employers (in some fields more than others) are really looking for is an online presence. Samples of resumes we were given that were unlike the resumes I was used to making. Down the side of one was a large box with the applicants Twitter address - it was the focus of the entire page. And just a few slots over was the LinkedIn account. It then dawned on me that simply writing up your qualifications and education is no longer enough.

In order to create a lasting impression and land the job, there's a lot more work involved than I would have imagined. As I was instructed in the workshop, it is important to start your online presence NOW, so when your potential employers search for you they will see you are already involved in your career aspirations. They will see this because you should be tweeting regularly about things that interest you and show your dedication to your field of choice.

For example, I am hoping to become an event planner. Now, I have a Twitter account but have never actually tweeted. In order to ramp up my image, I should research up and coming events and maybe even offer a critique of them on my Twitter account... and fast.

LinkedIn is another expectation for job applicants, especially for those in the business world. This professional networking site allows you to create a profile and connect with past and present colleagues, classmates, etc. These people may then add a recommendation to your profile, giving "power to your career."

It is my feeling that expectations for an online presence may be either helpful or harmful to one's career. If you're into networking like tweeting and LinkedIn already, then it would be easy to promote yourself online. However, for those who would rather hand in a resume and excel in an interview, this new level of expectations may be a bit intimidating. I know it is for me.

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I've heard of "LinkedIn" as well as the concept of having an online presence geared towards career aspirations.

    As technology changes, the way we conduct ourselves also changes and its interesting to see the ways in which this has affected our lives. Especially the concept of having an online presence. No longer is it good enough to simply go to school, get a degree, maybe a masters and get out there in the workforce. Now there seems to be so many more expectations on young graduates (like ourselves in a few months) that complicate things. And all these changes seem to happen because of technology. Social networking sites are now not just for reconnecting with people but can be used professionally to build contacts and build your knowledge about your particular field of work.

    I, like you, find the concept hard to grasp as I would be one to simply hand in a resume and try to rock the interview. This online presence seems like it would be difficult as I currently do not have a Twitter account, and had not planned on ever having one. I agree, these expectations are definitely intimidating.

    ReplyDelete