Monday, April 5, 2010

That's all folks!

The inspiration for my final post of the term comes from this blog. As social networking was a prevailing topic for the course, I wanted to leave you all with some wise words about what not to post on your own pages. Following the example of advice we were first given in January about how "not to write a blog," here's a short list I have created on what not to post on your social networking site of choice:

1. Publish private information that my harm another person's reputation.
2. Post an incriminating photo of yourself.
3. Threaten someone via a wall post or status update.
4. Blatantly discriminate against another person or group of people.
5. Fabricate a group claiming "I will ____ myself if more than ____ people join this group".

Looking back over the course, the topic that resonated most with me is social networking and how huge it has become. This list I just posted is a bit of a joke, but at the same time the point I want to get across is that once you put the information out there, it's out there for all to see. Facebook, Twitter, blackberrys, iPhones... and many more devices are making it possible to post what you are doing and keep in touch at all times. It's important to be cautious about your online presence, because you never know when it will come back to haunt you. As I have blogged about before, it's no secret that potential employers look you up online... And lets be honest, do you really want your mother to see what a wild night you just had?

Stay true to yourselves while networking prudently, and allow social networking sites to be your friend, not your foe!

That's all folks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment